Welcome to Year 1 and 2
*Show and tell will continue to be on a Friday. If it is your child’s week, they will have a sticker in their planner. We ask that you e-mail a photograph which your child can talk about if you wish.*
Welcome back! We hope that you have all had a wonderful break. We are all looking forward to the new academic year and have been delighted to see the children returning to school so enthusiastically. We are also very happy to see so many new faces to KS1 and we hope you feel very welcome at St Oswald’s.
The new KS1 topic this term is “The World and I”. This half term, we will learn about the human body, how Florence Nightingale helped change the world of nursing and how toys have changed over time.
What will we be learning about?
• To explore the Funnybones stories to help us write our own labels and captions. We will also look at non-fiction texts to help us write about the past.
• To explore the history of Florence Nightingale and to learn about the impact she had. We will also be learning about changes over time and look at comparing toys from the past to the present.
• In Maths, we will focus mainly on number skills such as reading and writing numbers, comparing and ordering number, extending number sequences, recognising odd and even numbers and learning doubles and half of a number.
• In Science, we will learn to identify and name different parts of the human body. We also learn about the importance of exercise, a balanced diet and hygiene.
• In DT, we are going to be designing and making a toy. We will also be looking at designing a healthy meal.
• In R.E. we will learn about how to care for others and the world around us.
• We will be practising our throwing and catching skills in P.E..
• P.E. will be on a Tuesday, Wednesday and/or Friday so please ensure P.E. kits (indoor and outdoor labelled kits) are in school at all times.
What can you do to help?
• Please encourage your child to read any books related to our topic at home.
• Last week, your child will brought a planner home. This will be used to pass on messages but please do e-mail your class teacher if required. Please record when you have heard your child read in this planner. They will
receive an owl stamp if they are listened to at least 3 times a week.
• Due to the circumstances, reading books will be changed on a Friday.
• Help your child to learn their weekly Maths Facts and spellings which they will soon receive.
• Please ensure that your child has a labelled water bottle.
• Ensure all uniform (including P.E. kit) is clearly labelled.
• Long hair must be tied back on P.E. days and earrings removed.
• Visit these websites to help your child practise their Maths and Phonics skills: