to Year 1 and 2
Welcome back! We hope that you have all had a lovely Easter and enjoyed the break. Our topic for summer term will be “Meerkat Mail”. During this topic, children will explore Africa and learn about life in Kenya. During summer 2, we will compare a part of Kenya with a part of the UK.
What will we be learning about?
- In English we will be reading the stories Meerkat Mail and Little Red and The Very Hungry Lion to help us write a letter.
- We will also be writing a leaflet following our research on Kenya.
- In science, we will be learning about the four seasons but will mainly be focusing on the changes between spring and summer.
- In R.E., we will be exploring the question: What is the good news Christians believe Jesus brings?
- In geography, we will be learning to understand geographical similarities and differences through studying the human and physical geography of Kenya.
- We will be also creating clay masks inspired by Edward Tingatinga.
- P.E. days for all Y1 and Y2 classes will continue to be on Tuesday and Wednesday. Please can you ensure your child has a full PE kit (labelled with their name) in school at all times.
What can you do to help?
We ask that children please read at least three times a week. We will send two books home from school and ask that they are read twice (bands pink-orange) to develop fluency and comprehension skills. Please record in your child’s planner when they have read at home. Children will receive an owl stamp if they are listened to at least 3 times a week. On a Friday, reading books will be collected in so please make sure your child has their planner and reading book in school each day.
Please use Seesaw to access suggested maths activities for your child’s learning each week. It is really important your child attempts some of the activities to support their maths learning at school. It will either be example websites with games on, songs for your child to sing or practical activities they can do at home. If you have any queries or need any support with this, please email your child’s class teacher.
Spellings will continue to be stuck in your child’s planner (Y2 children only) each week for their spelling test on a Friday. These will be linked to the sounds/rules they are learning in phonics at school. Please support your child with practising these at home. Y2 children now have details in the back of their planner for spellingframe which has a variety of games to practise their spellings on
Please send your child to school each day with their planner and a named water bottle. When the weather begins to become warmer, we ask your child is to also bring in a named bottle of suncream and a named sun hat.
Thank you for all your continued support. Please email your child’s class teacher if you have queries.
Mrs Griffiths, Miss Booth, Miss Slater, Mrs Houston and Mrs Hopwood.
Please label all your child’s belongings as we are accumulating a large pile of unnamed items in our lost property pile.